Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One Recipe, Two Results




Shortly after making pancakes from scratch for the first time, I followed a recipe to make homemade corn meal muffins, as well. I was surprised (showing my lack of baking knowledge) that the recipe for pancakes and the recipe for corn meal muffins are very similar. With the exception of the addition of corn meal to the muffin mix, and the slight variation in measurements. See for yourself:

Recipe for Pancakes

1 ½ c. flour
2 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
touch of salt
1 ½ c. buttermilk
1 beaten egg
1 T. olive oil

Recipe for Corn Meal Muffins

1 ½ c. yellow corn meal
1 c. flour
¼ c. sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
¼ c. oil

It makes me wonder if I could make corn meal pancakes by creatively merging the two recipes. But do I have the guts to cook something new without following a recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment